Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinpointers

Go down

Pinpointers Empty Pinpointers

Post by wandwaver Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:28 pm

I am looking for advice with regard to the pro's and cons of Pinpointers. They seem to be popular among treasure hunters but what about during gold detecting? I am concerned about interference as I have heard that when pinpointers are turned on certain detectors can go ballistic and have to be continually reset.
I have also heard that ML5000 will burn out some detectors being used within a certain distance of each other - would this effect the Pinpointers too?

wandwaver

Back to top Go down

Pinpointers Empty Re: Pinpointers

Post by Guest Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:24 pm

G'day Wandwaver

Firstly there is no detector on this planet that will or can burn out another detector even if touching each other and running.
Who ever told you that knows diddly squat about detectors mate.

Now as to pin pointers there are two main types bro.
The self powered hand held VLF types, such as the Garrett Pro pointer, and the new Minelab Pro-Find pinpointers.
The other type is the Coiltek pinpointer probe which plugs into your detector and works as a mini 1cm Mono coil in the end of a 25mm pvc resin filled tube.
For hands down flat out performance the Coiltek probe is the winner in sensitivity and depth, but has the disadvantage of having to plug it into your detector to use it and you also have to Dumb down the settings as it is so bloody grunty, but still the outright winner.

The Garrett Pro-pointer is also a good pin pointer but is knowhere near as sensitive as the Coiltek Probe.
It also does interfere with the 5k but can be easily rendered quiet by the simple adding of a light aluminium tube to the supplied holster and that shields it from the detectors coil and shuts it up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When using the Garrett Pro-pointer you just have your detector coil away from the thing and it works a treat.
The new Minelab Pro-find pinpointer is a tad more sensitive than the Garret model and has more features at a greater cost.

You will find more good info here on this site
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And here's a review on youtube for the Minelab Pro-find pin pointer VS the Garrett Pro-pointer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you want my honest answer to which is the best to have for gold prospecting, its the Coiltek Probe
all the way mate and no other.
For coin and relic hunting go with the Garrett Pro-pointer as the Minelab model gives no extra benefit in the field
when hunting coins and lost jewellery in parks and beaches for the added cost over the Garrett model.

Happy Hunts Very Happy

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by wandwaver Sun 04 Nov 2012, 3:03 pm

Hi Pete,
Thank you for your gems of wisdom .... taken on board and into consideration. This old dame needs all the help she can get.
Keep on swinging and happy trails.

wandwaver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down