Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chaining For Gold

Go down

Chaining For Gold Empty Chaining For Gold

Post by Guest Sun 11 Dec 2011, 1:12 pm

A bit on Chaining.

As the old hands will know, chaining is a must do to ensure you give yourself the best chance at cleaning out a
gold bearing area, and covering every centimetre of ground, chaining simply involves the draging of a short length of chain attached to a 6ft length of rope which is attached via a dog leash type clip to your belt and dragged behind you, there are other methods to chain also, another is to simply make a small divet with your boot every second step to leave a dotted line where you have already detected.

I prefere the second method as it doesnt leave a deep channel that can be seen 20 yrs after, and that way i try
not to give away my patches to easily, as the next good rains will practically wash the marks away.
Some People use pink builders string, some use pegs and ribbon, each to their own i guess.

The most important thing about chaining is that you need to cover the ground in at least 2 directions, this
ensures that any thin nuggets lying side on are not missed.
Gold can still be found on any chained patch also, and the reasons for this are many

- Poor or incorrectTechnique
- Lack of care in the chaining procedure
- old gear used by the previous bloke/gal
- Wrong choice of Coil & or settings
- Loss of concentration (chaining can become boring)
- To wide of a chaining width
- Not chaining in at least 2 directions

So when you find the first nugget, how do we go about chaining that area, below is a simple diagram
that shows the correct method to use that will get you the best results, just be sure to mark all nugget finds
with a small stick, this helps to get the direction of the way the gold is running.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Good Luck, & dont leave a crumb. Very Happy

Crazy Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Chaining For Gold Empty Re: Chaining For Gold

Post by Guest Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:03 pm

excellent advice mate!

themrburns

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 12 Dec 2011, 6:40 pm

Good advice about chaining, I used to drag one but I use the boot scuff now.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down