Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

detecting behind a quad bike

5 posters

Go down

detecting behind a quad bike Empty detecting behind a quad bike

Post by linlara Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:43 am

missus wont detect anymore because of crook back .any help on setting her up to pull a coil behind a quad bike would be great.will be using a 4000 and have a 14 inch salt coil plus 18 inch double d .got to make her ern her keep
linlara Laughing

linlara

Back to top Go down

detecting behind a quad bike Empty Re: detecting behind a quad bike

Post by Guest Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:17 am

The key factor in the set up is suppression of the interference from the coil and alternator/charge system.
This can be overcome by using the inline noise suppressors available from Super Cheap or other car accessories shops.
They are the same ones you fit to cars to stop the interference in the car radio.
The 14"Salt coil wont be as effected as the 18"DD will be due to its EMI cancelling qualities.
Headphones and not speakers must be used to block out the noise from the quad.
Most blokes fit a milk crate or the likes to the back of the bike to take the control box/battery etc.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Settings - Run as per normal as if hand swinging....

Hope this helps mate, give us a nod if more info is needed.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:57 pm

looks awesome man......i know where to use it too.....wish i could afford one .......

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Mon 08 Oct 2012, 8:32 pm

I did one once with a 2200 & it was about the same as Petes drawing only diff was a poly pipe drawbar & the coil silastic straight to the conveyor rubber mat. I was told not to use rubber because of the carbon this n that but after testing with different material ,no difference. One thing that does matter is when your coil extention cable is made ensure it is the shielded variety & as Pete said get a suppressor for the plug lead. All this was fashionable some years ago north of meeka on the vast virgin iron flats & i did get some reasonable success but after clocking up 500ks without a sniff ,gave it up. cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Oct 2012, 3:25 am

One more thing
When ya get your extension lead from Trev at Coiltek he will send you a diagram with info on how to modify your existing coil cable.
There is a link between 2 pins in the coil plug and this needs to be cut so the coil still works correctly.
The extension lead will have the link already installed in the final lead to control box plug and only one link is needed, so if the one in your original coil plug isn't severed the coil will go banana's..
You can snip the link with a small pair of side cutters or fingernail cutters..

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by linlara Tue 09 Oct 2012, 6:47 am

thanks for the info guys.i will contact trev at coiltek and go from there
linlara Very Happy

linlara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:53 am

i can't find part one but this is worth watching

cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:19 pm

About the bike electrics ,on the petrol ones fit a small car battery on the back for more capacity & run a manual switch between the mag /genny to battery to cut of the pulse noise whilst dragging & flick it on to charge the batt when it runs down a bit every now & then. I found very low threshold on the detector & high volume the best & a figure 8 salty 24 inch the best at the time on the noise factor & still fairly sensitive on 2 gramm & up sunbakers to find your patch. My next project will be a 40 inch or so & Yes Trevor at coiltek is the man to see , helped me out with this 10 or so years ago. albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:33 pm

Also you have to select your ground carefully in regard to the mining regs as there are some killjoys around that were warking off to the mines dept, only hand held gear etc . yep rules & more rules , larf. albo. pirat
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:04 pm

That guy actually has a big coil on a mat towed behind. Now many years ago (1994) I met an old Yankee couple up Lavo way who had the same set up.
The old boy was deaf as a post so he drove but his Mrs sat on the back with headphones. What got me was, they towed a detecting pad. Not a mat with coil on top.
They had it made in the US, I've never seen anything like it since but they were finding gold better than me and I had the latest XT17000.
The towed pad was just like a normal rubber mat and flexible, it went over anything. but they didn't try going over tree stumps or boulder sized rocks.
I'm not joking, I saw them in action.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:39 pm

There yaz go

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by linlara Thu 11 Oct 2012, 7:05 am

thanks again fellas for all the info .waiting on trev to get back to me as he is not back to work till monday the mat setup sounds interesting also will try and check it out
linlara (lindsay)

linlara

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 11 Oct 2012, 8:13 pm

Thats the mat Pete. I never thort of checking Utube but that is very similar (looks thinner). But the one I saw in action was a bit thicker but did work. Modern technology, and the mat gets thinner and still does the job.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Thu 11 Oct 2012, 8:48 pm

Once in meeka a bloke was fueling up & had the quad / coil set up on his trailer & i noticed the large coil hinged from the rear of the bike, very close, i got talking to him but he was very cagey about it but what he did say was he developed a 3 way electronic junction box between the coil & detector . I did see it, coil cable into this box & 1 cable went to the bike electrics & the other to the detector on the back & it cancelled all interferance from the bike & only sounded off from the coil. Reckons he had a patent on it. He was in a red nissan ute & came from kal. Just wondering if anyone knows him & how it went. cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Reg Wilson Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:05 am

I have been using a Polaris diesel with a cutout switch for the alternater as a tow vehicle for years both in WA and here in Vic. I use a piece of conveyer belt as the base for my sled wih a 36" mono enclosed in a plywood box for rigidity, attached using recessed nylon bolts. My Polaris is an ATV with the same chassi as the 500 Sportsman model produced in 2000-2001 not the bigger Ranger model. This is a much more compact and manouverable setup. I bought a pair of earmuffs with the highest noise reduction rating I could get and then added a pair of speakers. This whole setup works just fine.

Reg Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:13 pm

Thanks Reg i mucked around with it on off for a few years & realised how much useless virgin ground there is out there. It is a good way of patchfinding , but my setup was petrol & they can be more thirsty than you reckon. il give it another go but. cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by carms Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:39 am

i know its a bit late but i too have seen this pad coil that your talking about, im living in the USA currently and they are still being sold over here and i was playing with the idea of purchasing one although im not too sure what the connection would be like to the box, cabling etc
The same place that made the mats also had a few machines they were selling for 4-5k and were PI...didnt look too pretty but had stats like a 5000, they also sold all the parts required to hook it up to the quad bike....a lot of people seem to pull coild over here for things like nuggets & meteorites & burried caches (civil war etc)
It wouldnt work in all areas but i know a few that it would be perfect for and i believe ay work better then dragging a coil on a board as it seems the entire pad is the coil
my 2 cents spend it how you wish
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

Post by linlara Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:47 pm

g'day carms
thanks for your input. have been on the net but cannot find anything associated with detector mat or rubber coil .would you be able to let me know the name of this company
lindsay

linlara

Back to top Go down

Post by carms Fri 01 Feb 2013, 1:41 am

ill have a look and let you post results, i may need to scan the page out of the gem & treasure magazine they have here as thats where i saw it but either way ill get an image and contact info etc for you
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

Post by carms Fri 01 Feb 2013, 1:47 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

this what your after? as you can see you need to have one of there PI machines to use the set up but who knows if it can be manipulated to work ith a minelab etc? otherwise there set ups may be an option for you
i dont work for them or anything and couldnt tell you if they even worked, just know i saw em before

my 2 cents spend it how you wish
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 20 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm

Hi Carms , just checkin up onya , liked your posts & wondering if your still prospecting mate. cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by carms Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:58 pm

gday albo,
yeah mate still prospecting out here in the scrub around leo, don't get on the forum much atm as im too busy swinging! will be around the goldfields for the next couple of years as the better half is getting a job around here(we usually live in the US) but after the last few trips over to WA she fell in love with it out here(damn lucky I think, coming from Beverly Hills to Leonora is def a change lol we don't run into many movie stars in leo!) So for the next few years or more ill be spending my time swinging. If your ever around this way feel free to contact me and we could have a beer or a swing...or both Wink
cheers
carms
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:41 am

ar good to hear ya carms il pm ya when i sober up , been a long great arvo dewagin it has been, amongst other caper...yep talk to ya day or so , carefull of the monarch when you go drivin now ya hear , double demerits over the easter break etc.Albo
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:11 pm

carms wrote:gday albo,
yeah mate still prospecting out here in the scrub around leo, don't get on the forum much atm as im too busy swinging! will be around the goldfields for the next couple of years as the better half is getting a job around here(we usually live in the US) but after the last few trips over to WA she fell in love with it out here(damn lucky I think, coming from Beverly Hills to Leonora is def a change lol we don't run into many movie stars in leo!) So for the next few years or more ill be spending my time swinging. If your ever around this way feel free to contact me and we could have a beer or a swing...or both Wink
cheers
carms

THAT can only be one couple,,,,,,,,,Steve and Diane surely! If it is,,,,,,,,get off my lease!! lol!

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by carms Tue 02 Apr 2013, 1:55 am

Lol what gave me away, ahh that's right my damn yankie wife.....not many of those trouncing around the scrub lol...wouldn't make much of a spy would I lol we stand out like dogs balls
bloody fly are driving me crazy out here , they are immune to everything this year and the buggers grew teeth! have hundreds of bites all over me so im a pretty sad and sorry sight atm if you have any recommendations on anything to keep them away im all ears(and bites)
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down