thinking about doing something crazy

Go down

thinking about doing something crazy Empty thinking about doing something crazy

Post by snail on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:31 am

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and have been contemplating an idea I've had for some time now.
I run my own business and while its been ok, I havent exactly been raking in the cash. I was due to start a new job in September but that has now fallen through and I will not start until January now. This leaves me with a few months of not a lot of money to make. Employers generally wont want to emply someone for such a short period of time. My wife has not coped well with low income and has been putting serious pressure on me to earn more money. So I'm sure you guess where this is going - I'm thinking about going fulltime gold prospecting in WA for three months. This is your chance to convince me whether or not I should do it.

My plan:
* I have friends I can stay with in Perth and so will probably do two week blocks out on site. The three months I have in mind are September-November.
* I have a fair amount of metal detector experience but never for gold. My plan is to hire a GPX 5000 and maybe buy one if my finds are good.
* I'm in my mid-30s and am pretty fit and very determined.
* I am aiming to find 20 ounces over that time. I realise I could find a lot less or maybe a lot more. Is it reasonable to think I could find this much with hard work and good research?
* I'll also bring my laptop so I can continue working on other projects when its hot or at night (I do video production etc).

Questions:
* Will I require a 4WD?
* Is there any sort of phone/internet coverage out there?
* Is it completely stupid to do this alone? (I plan to get all the essential saftey gear, epirb, gps, first aid etc)

I guess that's probably enough to get started. Feel free to talk some sense into me. Thanks.

snail

Back to top Go down

thinking about doing something crazy Empty Re: thinking about doing something crazy

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:17 am

G'day Snail,

That's an extremely ambitious plan and 20oz's in 3 months ? bit of wishful thinking there I reckon.
If it was me, I wouldn't do it. Maybe try a couple of 2 week trips and see how ya go.
To hire a 5000 here in Perth isn't cheap and ya don't always need a 4x4. November ? it gets to bloody hot for detecting but can be done.
Depends where you go when it comes to phone/internet coverage. Most of the towns have towers and depending how far you are from a tower, you can sometimes get an sms out, thats about all I can do with my phone.
EPIRB, good idea if you do it on ya own and first aid kit is a must. Try find a detecting buddy for safety reasons.
The guys on here will give you some good advice, this is mine.
Best of Luck.

Cheers
nuggs

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

thinking about doing something crazy Empty Re: thinking about doing something crazy

Post by snapper on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 12:48 pm

g,day snail, first of all having Perth as a base is to far away and could be 1,000k to 2,000k round trip to and from the gold fields and the fuel will cost you a fortune, so you will need to be able to live on the gold fields and be self sufficient either have a generator or solar power with batteries, 4x4 is not nessesary but can be a great beneift when the weather turns bad or driving off the tracks, phone and internet coverage is limited to the towns only and up to about 20ks out and if you have Optus once you leave Kalgoolie you will get no reception anywhere so Telsta is a must, maybe close to some mines you could pick up reception but im not sure about that. Food and fuel is not cheap outside the major towns so stock up, hiring or buying a GPX 5,000 is a good idea and there is a backlog of people wanting to buy them, and it would be a good idea to have a larger coil than what comes standard, a larger eleptical for ground coverage, 20+ ounces of gold might be wishful thinking as Bignuggs says but you only have to walk over one big nugget but dont hold ya breath, going alone is fine as thats what i do but let people know where you will be and when you expect to get back, oh and a D12 could be an advantage lol! cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbait on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 3:19 pm

after i spent 2 weeks in the outback prospecting full time on a tour i had had enough. i was not expert, but found gold every day. i found 22grams in 2 weeks.

it's a lot of hard work for the novice. and by the time 2 weeks had finished i had had enough.

have i thought about going full time.. yes.. would i do it on such short notice.. no way.

others make very good points.

i don't want to steer u away from an idea, but i think you should take the step into full time detecting a bit slower.
Goldbait
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 4:04 pm

With no gold prospecting experience under ya belt i would without a doubt say NO to all your questions, save ya bucks and look for other ways to cash up.

Unlike coin & relic hunting gold prospecting takes many years to master
and even then no one is an expert at it.
Sure, you may lob on a nice dab, but chances are you would struggle to even pull 5 grams a week with no experience at all..

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by snail on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 5:04 pm

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'll keep thinking it through. I'm a fairly persistant bugger so I'm not likely to get sick of it easily but yeah, it needs some further thought and research.

snail

Back to top Go down

Post by carms on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 5:19 pm

Gday Snail,
heres my 2 cents, i was a complete novice when i came to WA this year for my first try at detecting. I have spent a bit over 3 months here in WA around Leonora & Kalgoorlie. I purchased a 5000 before i left NSW and had never found a nugget in my life but had panning, highbanking experience in NSW. I dont have a 4x4 infact i have a Holden Calais....not the best offroad vehicle lol. It took me 3 weeks detecting almost every day before i found my first nugget and that was only .8 of a gram. I had done and am still doing research whenever i have the chance and located a copy of Gold & Ghosts and other helpfull research material ie topo maps, geo maps, google earth etc.
My tally for the 3 and a bit months detecting...almost every day is - a speci with 2oz gold, speci with 3grams gold, a few other small speci's, 3oz+(just a few grams over) of nuggets and a partridge in a pear tree lol. I consider myself very lucky with what i have found and could have very easily got a lot less if i didnt find the couple of patches that i had.
Overall i dont think you would get 20oz in 3 months especially in the heat. I have heard tallys from a number of experienced prospectors in the caravan parks etc and the best i have heard is 15oz and he has been here since may, second to that is 10oz also been here since may....the 10oz was a husband and wife team with 30 seasons unde there belts and the 15oz was a guy who has 15-20 seasons under his belt and a very rich speci patch he goes too that you def need a whites detector to pick up the speci's....5000's will not get a signal on these speci's.
So you may be wishfull thinking to get 20oz's....just to cover your costs would be hard especially if you are driving back and forth to perth etc.
PS i have also had some help from a few very helpfull locals that put me onto some areas to check etc, going into it blind would be very difficult and things like the doug stone book are almost useless as the maps are not to scale or are different scales within the same map, roads arnt there anymore, land has been flogged etc etc etc etc It will however put you into an area that is gold bearing then you can explore, but exploring takes up valuable time expecially when you find out there isnt anything there

sorry if that has put a dampner on your spirits and in saying all of the above you could walk out the first day and pick up a 20oz nugget - it has been done before but it is very unlikely
regards
carms
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

thinking about doing something crazy Empty thinking about doing something crazy

Post by albo on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 5:33 pm

Hi snail , chancy venture , only live once i suppose. Had a visit from a couple of experienced prospectors last week that have been doing all parts of wa for 20 or more years, all the latest gear ,out for 3 months so far & only had a few ounces between them & all small bits . Thats how it can go sometimes. I reckon do it if you think you could manage getting little gold & count a good find as a bonus. ....Its a bit like a 100 baby turtles making their way to the sea, only 1 or 2 make it !
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 7:30 pm

Just the cost to prospect is a killer.. Just fueled up at Leonora today $1.64 a litre don't ask what a carton of beer is let alone food to eat..
You might do alright if you do it like the old timers did Living off tea & damper. From October onwards the heat will drive you senseless & the flys thinking about doing something crazy 3273188554

Back to top Go down

thinking about doing something crazy Empty thing off doing something crazy

Post by Guest on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:08 pm

g'day mate,i consider myself as hardworking brickie 39yo. just spent two and a half day's tecting for the 1st time and i'm buggered.flies were sending me crazy last day or so.i admire your ambition and have a similar dream but in the cooler month's. bloody beautiful in the bush but i'd hate to be there when the eastly winds blowing 30knots and it's 40 degrees.
but in saying that if the missus is riding ya back about cashflow maybe a few month's out bush is what you need lol!
good luck mate with whatever you do

jase

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:58 pm

I went to hay st once, I said I wanted to do something crazy.

the 'lady' said she wanted to have a shower first, as she was getting out of the shower I was walking out the door, she said ' I thought you wanted to do something crazy?'

I said 'I did, I shat in ya purse' Very Happy

A big GOOD LUCK out there for what ever you decide to do brother, I wrote a big 'life advice' column the other night for ya but decided to not post it, in my experience, no matter what anyone tells me I still end up doing what I choose to do, so I wish ya the best on ya adventures and hope no matter what you do they are golden one way or the other.

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by snail on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. It has been very helpful to think it through. I'm still weighing it up and may still elect to go but perhaps for just a month or two. I'll let you know how I go if I end up heading bush.

snail

Back to top Go down

thinking about doing something crazy Empty thing off doing something crazy

Post by Guest on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:34 pm

hey snail
if this has been a dream off your's just do it!!
lower the results you need mate,don't think off it as a money grab.
do it becoz u want to mate and hope you cover ya cost and have a bit off change at the end off your adventure.hey not saying you won't walk over a descent nuggie during the trip,but hey i might win lotto tonight if you get the gist off what i'm saying.
this weekend sunday times,there's a prospecting camp on the market just north coolgardie,comes with three gold lease's and a nicely set up camp apparently. now that's the sh*t i dream off.working your own lease,scrap and detect or dry blowing ya soil.if i had a spare 50k lying around i'd jump on it but the miss's don't have the same dream[yet] and doesnt want to gamble by borrowing that sort off money when where tied up with mortgage and have a ridicoulus tax bill hanging over me head.
my brother's landlord does have his own lease in wa. 1st year in pulled $1.2m seen a photo table full off gold,two blokes standing there with guns in there hands 1 nuggie worth 83kand we are going back 10years. he still working that land and don't know him well enough to know how it's still going but i know he does rent's out 14 house's in perth so going well i assume.
heard another one couple weeks ago,chap pushing 70yo working his gold lease here and pulls $80k a year working 4cooler months off the year.and to be honest there's prob a 1000 story's out there like it.
now that's what i'm talking about
good luck mate
jase

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum