Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is a 4WD needed for the WA goldfields

5 posters

Go down

is a 4WD needed for the WA goldfields Empty is a 4WD needed for the WA goldfields

Post by craigant Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:05 pm

hiya all. am going for my first trip in a couple of weeks. just got a 2WD car for now but what do you all take on your trips? is a 4wd a ust out there on the goldfields
Craig

craigant

Back to top Go down

is a 4WD needed for the WA goldfields Empty Re: is a 4WD needed for the WA goldfields

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:07 pm

depends on where you are going , and what 2wd you are using , to be honest yeah a 4x4 is required if you going out bush ,

burnsy

Back to top Go down

is a 4WD needed for the WA goldfields Empty Re: is a 4WD needed for the WA goldfields

Post by albo Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:55 pm

Agree with burnsy, when the sd 2000 came out i was fine running around the murchison in a falcon ute. Take some kneed it putty for the engine sump holes but. Then a trip to marble bar / pilbara in the ol palcon put a stop to that game & i bought a hilux. Best move i made back then. You will wreck your car eventually, but we all start somewhere mate. albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

is a 4WD needed for the WA goldfields Empty is a 4wd needed to go out bush

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:31 am

g'day craig
plan on going out for my 1st trip v.soon still ain't confirmed but end off month is the target. i have an old 4x4 bravo and have basic camp set up.still need to pick up a few things and will be hiring a detector for the 1st couple off trips .i have 2 other newbies coming with me and taking 2 cars more for a safety factor then anything. as me old betsy bravo has done a few k's but has been v.reliable the 8years off had her.but you never now.i also had looked in the yalgoo-paynes find area's and the crazy 1 pete put me on to pinyallling hill area as did pilbrachild but i think i'll go a little further up the road for the first swing.
i'm v.keen to get into this so i'll hopefully be planning regular long weekender's b4 it gets to hot hoping to get afew trips this year anyhow so if you are keen and have the time we should take a trip up together.see how it all pans out mate, good luck with ya trip and yeah go the newbie's luck lol!

jase

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

A 4WD in good condition is the sensible thing to do if you intend going off the blacktop. Livestock bounces off the a bit better also. qwk;ec

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Burns Mob Tue 10 Jul 2012, 7:16 pm

If it has rained then even a capable 4x4 will only get you into further trouble if you don't know what you are doing. I would not venture anywhere off a formed road (not even the shoulder) if you are in a 2wd and it's wet or been wet in the WA goldfields. I have been bogged in thick mud weeks after rain on ground that looked solid and dry to walk on. Break through the crust and it's all fun and games for the next few hours, and I am not talking about on salt lakes.

Burns Mob

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 10 Jul 2012, 7:37 pm

Can relate to that one burnsy, even tho the water is over the main tracks ,dont deviate from it even if the ground on the side looks drier, that soft red wet sh*t can be a 3 day trap or more , particularly even after even a week or so after good rain on the eges of non porous granite area tracks.albo
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:07 pm

You can't go far in a car. A 4x4 is a must but even then, if it rains, stay home. Used to take me hours to clean the mud off after a wet trip. It sticks like bloody plasticine. My time was mainly north of Kalgoorlie but there are some places south of Kal you can probably get to without too much hassle. Just gotta walk further.

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:56 pm

Hi fellas, ive only got a 30 year old camper 2wd with trailer and as long as its dry ive been able to get around pretty good traveling 10ks in off the main roads, just take your time and go slow, stay on tracks and lookout for rocks, dont run over anything like plants or dead looking plants and carry a couple of spare tyres and usual spares, its mainly flat ground around laverton so i dont have to much trouble but i have dug up sides of washes so i can get up the other side affraid lol! lol! cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down